01 September 2006

luck is like having a rice dumpling fly into your mouth

That little Japanese proverb succinctly expresses so much. I mean, frankly, while it might be nice, it would be a little unsettling to find a dumpling in your mouth, especially if you didn't put it there.

But I have been thinking about rice lately. Because, in the words of Mitch Hedberg, "I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something."

For example, Seeds of Change makes a seven grain pilaf that is delicious. Everyone likes it. I serve it to company. People always ask for the recipe. Rather than lie (it gets too complicated), I opt to give them the back-up box in my pantry as a party favor.

One note: I use less water than the recipe calls for (2 1/4 cups rather than 2 3/4 cups), but otherwise follow the directions to the letter, including toasting the grains (which is easier than it sounds, especially if you are capable of stirring).

Also, we seem to love every variety offered by this company:

The California Brown Basmati is probably my favorite. Great with Indian food.

My lovely husband's favorite is their Sushi Rice, which I must admit, is crazytasty. Perfect with Kung Pao Chicken (I'll post that recipe soon) or simple broiled fish.

And I just realized we haven't had risotto in forever! Another reason not to like summer! Aaah, but fall will come, and it will be time to use this variety...takes quite a bit longer than white arborio, but oh, my, the results are worth it.

And I'm looking for a new recipe for saffron rice. I've used this one, and it was fine, but not great. Any ideas? Or maybe I'll just walk around with my mouth open waiting for a misguided flying dumpling.

No comments: